Re: [xsl] position= and blocks (was And operator usage in XSL)

Subject: Re: [xsl] position= and blocks (was And operator usage in XSL)
From: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:24:21 -0500
J.Pietschmann wrote:

Eliot Kimber wrote:

So while it's interesting academically to know what relative-position *should* do, in practice it has no utility because you'd never use it anyway.

I was under the impression relative positioning is needed for
properly aligned drop caps (left align the "D" at the vertical
stroke rather than the left edges of the serifs). But some
fiddling with text-indent and/or other margins/spaces might
be sufficient, although not as obvious for maintenance purposes.

I've always done drop caps with side floats:

      <fo:block
        font-size="12pt"
        font-family="sans-serif"
        line-height="1em"

        <fo:float float="start">
          <fo:block
              font-size="72pt"
              font-family="serif"
              line-height="1em"
              padding-end="24pt"
              >H</fo:block>
        </fo:float>
        <fo:inline>ere is the start of the paragraph.
        And this is more content in the paragraph.
        And more. And more. And this is more content in the paragraph.
        And more. And more. And this is more content in the paragraph.
        And more. And more. And this is more content in the paragraph.
        And more. And more. </fo:inline>
      </fo:block>

This may require jiggering of the details of edge margins, padding, etc., as different implementations are likely to vary in their behavior at the level of precise character placement.

Side floats are the only construct that provide any form of runaround in XSL-FO 1.0.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber