Re: [xsl] position= and blocks (was And operator usage in XSL)

Subject: Re: [xsl] position= and blocks (was And operator usage in XSL)
From: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:46:06 -0500
john farrow wrote:

Thats for the info Eliot.

I have been looking at this and came up with this to place the two blocks
over one another:

<fo:block id="outer">
   <fo:block-container absolute-position="absolute">
      <fo:block>A</fo:block>
   </fo:block-container>
   <fo:block>B</fo:block>
</fo:block>

I think (please correct me if I am wrong) only one block-container is
necessary, and it will be positioned relative to its containing area (with
id="outer") so the two blocks will be over each other, and only the second
fo:block is in the normal flow.

This only coincidently works in your test because the block "outer" happens to be the first block on the page.

Unfortunately, block-containers are positioned relative to the nearest containing reference area, which in this case is the pages region-body.

fo:block does not establish a reference area so there's no way for block-container to be positioned relative to it.

In your test, if you put a block before what is now the first block you'll see what I mean.

Cheers,

E.
--
W. Eliot Kimber