Re: [xsl] misc. confusion on "footnote" handling

Subject: Re: [xsl] misc. confusion on "footnote" handling
From: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:09:00 -0400
On Aug 26, 2004, at 12:20 PM, Wendell Piez wrote:

You say you want the user always to run the same stylesheet, and parameterize your "operational mode" in a separate file. If that separate file were (for example) an Ant build configuration, or a file called in by such, which stylesheet is actually being run could be opaque to the user. (We commonly address such requirements as which-stylesheet-is-run at the level of the shell that invokes the process, not the process itself.)

The configuration file would be an xml file with this root element:

<citationstyle class="author-year">

I suppose there could be some other non-xsl programming magic to choose the right stylesheet if the benefits of the approach are so large that it more than offsets the loss of ease-of-use, but I really do like the idea of users just being able to do this:

java net.sf.saxon.Transform -o test.xhtml test.xml ../dbng.xsl citation-style=aag

.... where dbng.xsl is just importing the single stylesheet.

Bruce