Re: [xsl] Specify/determine element's "logical" parent

Subject: Re: [xsl] Specify/determine element's "logical" parent
From: "john-xsl-list" <john-xsl-list@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:55:01 -0400
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:08:55 +0100, David Carlisle wrote

Excellent post, thanks.

> perhaps you're more of a city dweller and more comfortable
> following the crowds?

Actually I really like working with current tools but because of my
unfamiliarity it is easy to just blame the technology instead of myself.

>           <xsl:value-of select="key( 'ids', (@parentid|../@id)[last()
> ])/@id" />

I think this says to look up the element pointed to by the key @parentid if it
is defined, ../@id otherwise, but I am not sure I understand the [last()] -
does that mean that if both parentid and ../@id are defined, ../@id will be
used (in which case I want the reverse, first()?  or is this just defensive
programming, habit or something else?

> actually it's an error to have two templates of the same priority

I had expected the system (IE) to throw an error in this undefined case, but
it recovers (somewhat randomly) I guess.

Thanks again,

   -John