Re: [xsl] Specify/determine element's "logical" parent

Subject: Re: [xsl] Specify/determine element's "logical" parent
From: Joseph Dane <jdane@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:01:55 -1000
john-xsl-list <john-xsl-list@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Thanks again for the response.  Memory consumption for XML processing
> in this environment (something like 4x "file" size) and I'm concerned
> that creating these keys every time an XSL is called will be too
> expensive.
>
> I don't mean to gripe and I am sorry to bug the list with this, but I
> seem to be headed down a very deep and dark path with XSL.  I'm just

I think you have two problems.

first, you are trying to learn a new technology (worse: for many
people XSLT seems to require a new way of thinking about problems) in
a severely limited amount of time.  this is never a good idea.

second, XSLT is rarely enough in itself.  that is, XSLT is usually
embedded in some other technology or process, and the way XSLT is
invoked by and involved in the "host environment" can make a *huge*
difference in things like memory consumption and throughput.   I
think that this fact is often overlooked.  even in my short
acquaintance with XSLT I've seen it deployed inappropriately more
than once.

the bottom line is that it just takes some time to get a grip on both
of these problems.  I say this as a relative newcomer myself, so I
say this with sympathy.

--

joe