Re: [xsl] newbie question - process xml file having special chars with xsl

Subject: Re: [xsl] newbie question - process xml file having special chars with xsl
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:00:43 -0400
Dave,

Do we infer correctly from this that what you really want to do is change
all accented characters into corresponding unaccented forms, while also
transforming your document markup?

Changing '|' to 'u' throughout a string is easy, and can be done over any
string using the translate() function. Changing '|' to 'ue' (a more correct
requirement, I believe) is somewhat tougher (examine translate() and you'll
see why) and requires (in XSLT 1.0) recursive string processing.
Fortunately that code has been written and shared, and should not be hard
to find in the FAQ or at Jeni's site at www.jenitennison.com, I believe....

Cheers,
Wendell