Re: [xsl] Preseving character entities

Subject: Re: [xsl] Preseving character entities
From: Geert Josten <Geert.Josten@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 07:18:47 +0100
I agree, you do not need numeric character references as long as you stick to compliant XML parsers (as used by Cocoon). Though, they prevent mutation because of editing with text editors that can't handle encodings properly.

Moreover, the approach with character-maps to get named character references will result in the need for a DOCTYPE in your files. I would prefer UTF-8 or 'us-ascii' coded files. Doctype handling in Cocoon is a bit awkward..

:-P

Grtz,
Geert

and they
need to have the character references of the original document so that
they can continue to be parsed correctly by the stylesheets of the
Cocoon application.

No. Any XML application can read the UTF* characters directly, (otherwise
it is not an XML application) people and legacy text editors sometimes
prefer to see the numeric character references, but no XML software will
need that.

David

http://www.star.net.uk

-- Geert.Josten@xxxxxxxxxxx IT-consultant at Daidalos BV, Zoetermeer (NL)