RE: [xsl] Preseving character entities

Subject: RE: [xsl] Preseving character entities
From: "Richard Lewis" <richardlewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:08:57 +0000
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:45:21 -0000, "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
said:
> But if he asks for UTF-8, then he will get non-ASCII characters encoded
> in
> UTF-8, not represented as character references.
>
> Time to ask the original poster: why? What are you trying to achieve?

The point is that I'm converting a website source document (which is
being processed using Cocoon) from one design (monolithic) to another
design (a collection of small documents in a filesystem hierachy which
may be processed by a native XML database). Its a transformation that
only happens once and the resultant documents need to be XML and they
need to have the character references of the original document so that
they can continue to be parsed correctly by the stylesheets of the
Cocoon application.

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:42:35 -0000, "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
said:

> s/encoding="us-ascii"/encoding="UTF-8"/

And, of course, because its only a one-off transformation, I can easily
do this.

Thanks,
Richard
--