Re: [xsl] Same XPath expression with diferent results

Subject: Re: [xsl] Same XPath expression with diferent results
From: david_n_bertoni@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:35:34 -0800
> I don't understand this. Giving the xml in
> http://gti.clientes.gtinformatica.pt/Site/Java/Menus.xml if
> i inspect the xpath expression //menu (using the jEdit XPath
> Tool) it gives a count 0f 8. That's what i expected.
>
> But in
>
>                <xsl:template match="//menu">
>            blabla
>                </xsl:template>
>
> blabla only appears 3 times, corresponding to the /menus/menu.
> Why this isn't giving the same 8 results?

Because the menu elements are nested, and your template does not continue
the recursive processing of the source tree, you never reach the menu
elements that are descendants of another menu element.

You don't show a full stylesheet, so I'm just guessing, but try these two
stylesheets produce the same output, and contrast the typical "push" vs.
"pull" styles:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
version="1.0">

<xsl:template match="node() | attribte::*"/>

<xsl:template match="menu">
  <xsl:text>blabla</xsl:text>
  <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

<?xml version="1.0"?>
version="1.0">

<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:for-each select="//menu">
    <xsl:text>blabla</xsl:text>
  </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Note that "//" is not necessary in a match pattern.

Dave