Re: [xsl] Extracting the grouping from a flat structure

Subject: Re: [xsl] Extracting the grouping from a flat structure
From: Peter Wyngaard <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:29:37 -0500
Kev --

I'm using xalan-j-2.6.0. Thanks!

Peter

On Dec 9, 2004, at 4:25 AM, Kevin Jones wrote:

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 00:52, Peter Wyngaard wrote:
Kev --

Wow.  That's quite a solution.  I did not know about the
node-set function, which is available in xalan as
'xalan:nodeset'.  When you had described the two-pass
solution, I was thinking about piping two XSL transforms
together (i.e., two separate stylesheets processed one
after the other).  I did not know that you could put
trees into a variable and process them with node-set.
That's very cool.

It is rather handy, saves a lot of messing around with multiple transforms. As well as its use for indexing you can use the same technique to split transforms into independent phases which you can combine in different orders as needed.

I implemented your solution, and it is a little bit faster. But only about 7% faster, unfortunately. On a sample XML file, it takes around 3000ms on average using my old method, and about 2800ms on average using your solution.

That is a bit poor. I was expecting more but this stuff is always processor specific. If you let me know what processor and version you are on I will take another go at it. I am sure there must be a quicker solution than this.

Kev.