Re: [xsl] non MS transform

Subject: Re: [xsl] non MS transform
From: António Mota <xptm@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:18:51 +0000
With sarissa is as simple as this:

var xml = Sarissa.getDomDocument();
xml.async = false
xml.load("cdcatalog.xml")

// Load XSL
var xsl = new Sarissa.getDomDocument();
xsl.async = false
xsl.load("cdcatalog.xsl")

// Transform
var xmlResult = Sarissa.getDomDocument();
xml.transformNodeToObject(xsl, xmlResult);
document.getElementById("some-id").appendChild(document.importNode(xmlResult
.documentElement, true));

It works with IE, FF and at least two other linux browsers, so they told
me...

Quoting Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> At 11:26 AM 12/21/2004, you wrote:
> >Howdy.  I was happy as a clam with
> >// Load XML
> >var xml = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
> >xml.async = false
> >xml.load("cdcatalog.xml")
> >
> >// Load XSL
> >var xsl = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
> >xsl.async = false
> >xsl.load("cdcatalog.xsl")
> >
> >// Transform
> >document.write(xml.transformNode(xsl))
> ></script>

> >But then I was told that I had to come up with a non Microsoft approach. I
> >thought that would be easy but my searching has not been successful.
> >
> >Could someone be so kind as to provide me with a "standard" solution to
> >transforming.
>
> This code is to configure a transformation to run in the client. (IE, on a
> Microsoft platform. Hence the potential problem.)
>
> Since there is actually a variety of web browsers available, and most of
> them do not support XML/XSLT at all, a general solution for all browsers
> isn't possible. This is a primary reason why many projects opt to transform
> on the server, or by pre-processing files in batch mode. In such a case you
> get many or most of the advantages of the layered XML architecture, without
> the browser dependencies (since they only see HTML).
>
> In simple cases, you can place an <?xml-stylesheet href="..." ?> PI (google
> this) in your XML documents and serve them directly: both IE and
> Mozilla-based browsers will recognize the PI and apply a transformation
> accordingly.
>
> If you want something more dynamic but still "standard" on the client, you
> could look at sarissa (http://sarissa.sf.net). From their Overview page:
>
> >Sarissa is a JavaScript meta-API. It bridges the gap of DOM XML extentions
> >between Internet Explorer and Mozilla (or Moz-based) browsers. It is an
> >effort to provide a common interface for those extentions, bringing them
> >closer to eachother. It was originally created to protect my sanity ;-)
> >
> >Sarissa implements some of the DOM standard and Mozilla extentions for IE
> >and some IE extentions for Mozilla. Finally, it provides some factory
> >methods, for both browsers.
>
> Of course, sarissa is not "standard" -- although as an open-source project,
> it's non-proprietary.
>
> Cheers,
> Wendell

> Wendell Piez                            mailto:wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Mulberry Technologies, Inc.                http://www.mulberrytech.com
> 17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9635
> Suite 207                                          Phone: 301/315-9631
> Rockville, MD  20850                                 Fax: 301/315-8285
>    Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML

O SAPO ja esta livre de vmrus com a Panda Software, fique vocj tambim!
Clique em: http://antivirus.sapo.pt