Re: [xsl] Can Saxon be made to understand Xalan extensions?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Can Saxon be made to understand Xalan extensions?
From: Niclas Hedhman <niclas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:34:14 +0800
On Tuesday 11 January 2005 00:04, Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman writes:
> > 1. My own stylesheets have some problem running Xalan, I get OutOfMemory
> > (or was it StackOverflow). Saxon works without problems.
>
> Are you sure you can't just increase the memory available to Java?  I
> use Xalan with Sun's JDK 1.4.2 on Solaris x86, and can process 64 MB XML
> files by specifying the -Xmx256M command line option to the java
> executable.

Ok. Since you asked, I have done some checking;
1. The problem was StackOverflowError, and in a way that surely was a bug in
Xalan.

2. OTOH, I just checked with Xalan and with my current set of XML/XSL files,
it no longer happens, which is somewhat odd.

Anyway, the docbook.sf.net set of XSL is still not happy with Xalan according
to them.

The *real* problem involved here, is that this is part of a larger build
system, using Ant, which assembles 150+ projects, of which some has XML
documentation to convert, either Docbook or Apache Anakia format, and some
has various types of reports, such as Junit, Checkstyle, Test coverage to be
output as html.

The whole JAXP mechanism makes this somewhat troublesome, but I think that
Michael's suggestion to start using XSLT 2.0 is probably a very sensible
thing to do. I must confess, I have not consider 2.0 yet. Need to get some
more books... Michael, do you have anything published about 2.0 ?

Cheers
Niclas
--
If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

|   http://www.dpml.net        |
|  http://niclas.hedhman.org   |