Re: [xsl] Re: XML / XSL Editors

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: XML / XSL Editors
From: António Mota <amsmota@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:30:09 +0000
Below are the results of my tests. A more friendly view is at
http://gti.clientes.gtinformatica.pt/Site/Java/XMLEd.html . I've
defined a number of itens that are important to my analysis, and
classified then on a 0-5 scale. This scale is not homogeneous. In some
itens there's only a 0/3 classification for have/have not. Others are
a quantitative reference for features availability (multiple
processors, for instance). The others are my subjective
classification.

I take the "dumb-guy" approach, in wich i'm very good at so i've
started by droping Topologi cause it seems very complicated to test in
such a short time.

The last lines are the sum of the features taxonomies, a DEV/DATA
classification of usability from the development / data entry point of
view, the PRICEs and the RATIO of the sum of classifications vs price.

To my conclusion i'll ignore the XMLWriter value because the
"features" value is too low, altought the ratio is high due to is it's
also low price.

That let Exchanger as the one with higher features/price ratio, with
oXygen near by. Since i didn't explore that XForms (XSmiles)
possibilty and there are two features in oXygen that i as a developer
think are valuable (the Trang thing and the multiple processors)
probably my advice to my boss in a 500b, budget frame is to buy some
mix of oXygen (1-2) and Exchanger (3-4) editors, that should cover
both our development and data-entry needs.

If someone sees a coarse error in the analyses please let me know. And
i welcome your comments too.

Thanks all for your help.

                          XMLSpy     Oxygen    Exchanger StylusStudi XMLWriter

Define XML Structures        0          0          3          0          2
Visual Restriction of Va     3          0          0          0          0
Copy&Paste XML Nodes         3          0          2          0          2
Tree View                    3          3          3          4          5
Tree Edit                    0          4          5          3          1
Form View                    3          0          0          0          0
Form Edit                    3          0          0          0          0
Table View                   3          0          0          4          0
Table Edit                   3          0          0          4          0
XSL Diagram                  3          0          0          3          0
DB Map                       0          0          2          3          0
Xpath 2.0                    3          3          0          3          0
Java                         0          3          0          3          0
JavaScript                   0          3          0          0          0
CSS                          3          3          0          0          3
Schema                       3          3          3          3          3
DTD                          3          3          3          3          3
RelaxNG                      0          3          3          0          0
Schematron                   0          3          0          0          0
Schema translation           2          5          3          0          2
Multiple  processors         1          5          2          3          2
Xpath analyser               5          3          3          3          0
Auto-completion              3          3          3          3          3
XSLT Debugger                4          3          5          3          0
                            51         50         40         45         26
DEV                          4          3          4          5          3
DATA                         5          2          4          2          2
                            60         55         48         52         31
PRICE                       799        128        85         495        75

RATIO                      0,08       0,43       0,56       0,11       0,41