Re: [xsl] FW: Basic XSLT ;-)

Subject: Re: [xsl] FW: Basic XSLT ;-)
From: Geert Josten <Geert.Josten@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:11:13 +0100
Hi Robert,

As David mentions, I'm afraid the combination of normalize-space and text gives only the normalized value of the _first_ text node in <foo>. I'm not sure that is the problem you are dealing with, but it could. And if it does, the code below might help.

Trouble is with XSLT 1 that all useful functions (like normalize and contains) only take the first node out of a node-set argument. So you need to get a single node with all the content you want to take into account.

You could try doing:
<xsl:template match="foo">
  <xsl:variable name="value">
    <xsl:copy-of select="text()" />
  </xsl:variable>

  <xsl:if test="contains($value, 'Value')">
  </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

in which the text nodes should be merged into a single text node (in a fragment tree actually).

To make it a bit more complex, you could retrieve the value with apply-templates as well, which makes it possible to include/exclude specific elements in the content:

<xsl:template match="foo">
  <xsl:variable name="value">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="node()" mode="filter-value" />
  </xsl:variable>

  <xsl:if test="contains($value, 'Value')">
  </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="*" mode="get-value">
  <xsl:if test="self::bar">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="node()" mode="get-value" />
  </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

On the other hand, it could just be that your 'Value' is not tested with the correct CaSe. a translate($value, 'ABC..', 'abc..') might help in that case..

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Robert Soesemann wrote:

I am struggeling with a really basic XSL task.  I guess I am missin
something.
I need a template that matches the text values of all foo element whose
original value is 'Value'.
The original value should be normalized as I want to match e.g.:

<foo> Text </foo>

or

<foo>Text </foo>

or

I tried without success:

<xsl:template match="foo[normalize-space(text())='Value']">

Please help!! ;-)

-- Geert.Josten@xxxxxxxxxxx IT-consultant at Daidalos BV, Zoetermeer (NL)

http://www.daidalos.nl/
tel:+31-(0)79-3316961