[xsl] How to Display as text the select predicates of apply-templates

Subject: [xsl] How to Display as text the select predicates of apply-templates
From: david <dariggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:07:41 +0900
I am using xslt to search an xml file of resonses to a survey. I want to display the search predicates at the top of the results of the search. How do I get at the text of the search to show what the argument was that produced the result which I am displaying?

I put the search into a variable at the top of the xslt file:

<xsl:variable name="bool" select="/responses/response[section/number_sewn &gt; 3]"/>

And then use it

<xsl:apply-templates select="$bool">

I also want to display the search argument on the output, so I know what it was that this output is searching for.

If I use <xsl:value-of select="$bool"/> I just get the text value of the first element of the selected set. And if I first define the search argument as a string with select="'/responses/...... '" (double-quoting to make it a string, not a node set), I can display that easily enough, but I cannot find a way to make that variable then select a node set.

Seems so simple, and it is so simple that I cannot find it in the archives. Sorry for such a trivial question.

Many thanks.

David Riggs

Kyoto