RE: [xsl] How to Display as text the select predicates of apply-templates

Subject: RE: [xsl] How to Display as text the select predicates of apply-templates
From: <Jarno.Elovirta@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:59:29 +0200
Hi,

> I am using xslt to search an xml file of resonses to a
> survey. I want to
> display the search predicates at the top of the results of
> the search.
> How do I get at the text of the search to show what the argument was
> that produced the result which I am displaying?
>
> I put the search into a variable at the top of the xslt file:
>
> <xsl:variable name="bool"
> select="/responses/response[section/number_sewn &gt; 3]"/>
>
> And then use it
>
> <xsl:apply-templates select="$bool">

And this works the way you want to?

> I also want to display the search argument on the output, so
> I know what
> it was that this output is searching for.
>
> If I use <xsl:value-of select="$bool"/> I just get the text
> value of the
> first element of the selected set. And if I first define the search

xsl:value-of will extract the string value of the result of evaluating the
expression <http://w3.org/TR/xslt#value-of>. In you case, the result is a
node-set. Extracting the string value of a node-set will retrieve the string
value of the first element in document order
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#function-string>. Use e.g. xsl:for-each to go
throught the node-set bound to $bool, and there extract the value of the
current node.

Cheers,

Jarno