RE: [xsl] generic sort based on attribute names

Subject: RE: [xsl] generic sort based on attribute names
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:37:24 -0000
This is quite tricky in XSLT 1.0 as the sort key has to be expressed as an
XPath expression, it can't be computed using XSLT code. In 2.0 (a) XPath
expressions are more powerful, and (b) you can do an XSLT computation inside
the xsl:sort.

Here's a solution using the latter approach:

<xsl:for-each select="e">
  <xsl:sort>
    <xsl:for-each select="@*">
      <xsl:sort select="name()"/>
      <xsl:value-of select='name(), "=""", ., """ "' separator=""/>
    </xsl:for-each>
  </xsl:sort>
  <xsl:copy-of select="."/>
</xsl:for-each>

Not tested; and note (a) this doesn't handle namespaces, and (b) it doesn't
attempt to change the order of attributes in the output, since that's not
under XSLT's control anyway.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/