Re: [xsl] XSLT use cases; data-centric to document-centric transformations

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT use cases; data-centric to document-centric transformations
From: Kenneth Stephen <marvin.the.cynical.robot@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:00:41 -0600
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 19:40:13 +0100, Peter Gerstbach <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, that's the problem with those tools. But since I'm thinking of
> writing such a tool (which should make it better) I first have to
> understand the problem with the existing ones! :)

Peter,

    It seems to me that this would be a very hard problem to solve.
The structuring of code is arbitrary and varies from programmer to
programmer and from task to task.  If your requirement is to build a
tool that automatically decides what functions need to be clubbed
together and what needs to be broken down into more modular chunks,
your are almost(?) talking about AI. Or, alternatively, your code
generator should be overridable by the programmer to specify
modularity rules if the programmer is unhappy with the default output.

Regards,
Kenneth