RE: [xsl] XSLT use cases; data-centric to document-centrictransformations

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT use cases; data-centric to document-centrictransformations
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 10:40:27 -0000
> When comparing performance I found out, that xalan and saxon
> perform bad when
> there is only on big template. When the template is very large, saxon
> even ends
> up in an StackOverflowError.

I think you're drawing conclusions too hastily: "when" does not imply
"because".

Saxon is unlikely to produce a StackOverflowError unless there is a very
deep (usually infinite) recursion in your code, which I would have thought
was more likely when you have many small templates than when you have one
large one.

What you are really saying is that you wrote a stylesheet that used a large
template and it performed badly on two processors. The chances are that the
inefficiencies in your code had nothing to do with the choice of XSLT
processor, and nothing to do with the fact that it was using a large
template. Rather, it was probably using an inefficient algorithm.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/