Re: [xsl] Transformation of

Subject: Re: [xsl] Transformation of
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:07:16 +1100
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:31:29 +0200, Emmanouil Batsis
<Emmanouil.Batsis@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> news@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >Hello List,
> >
> >I have the following XML in form of a variable:
> >
> >input:
> ><XML>
> >       <item>vlue</item>
> >       <item>%special value%</item>
> >       <item>vlue</item>
> >       <item>%special value%</item>
> >       <unkown_items/>
> >       <unkown_items/>
> ></XML>
> >

> I dont think that's XML as no element name can begin with 'XML'.

Not exactly true.

The XML Spec says:

"Names beginning with the string "xml", or with any string which would
match (('X'|'x') ('M'|'m') ('L'|'l')), are reserved for
standardization in this or future versions of this specification."

http://w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/#sec-common-syn

Reserved does not meen invalid or forbidden. The meaning is: "You can
still use such names but you have been warned. Some nice day you'll
wake up to find that the nice name "xmlns2" you used has been given
exclusively to "XML Namespaces -- 2" and your source xml documents
have suddenly changed their meaning".

This is not something to argue about as anyone can try and see for
themselves that an XML parser allow the use of such names..

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.