Re: [xsl] Result still indented despite indent="no"

Subject: Re: [xsl] Result still indented despite indent="no"
From: Mukul Gandhi <mukul_gandhi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:59:30 -0800 (PST)
Hello Dimitre,
  The sentence you are refering ("Initially , the set
of whitespace-preserving element names contains all
element names"), is part of algorithm description by
the XSLT 1.0 spec, to implement xsl:strip-space and
xsl:preserve-space instructions..

The complete paragraph is -
"For source documents, the set of
whitespace-preserving element names is specified by
xsl:strip-space and xsl:preserve-space top-level
elements. These elements each have an elements
attribute whose value is a whitespace-separated list
of NameTests. Initially, the set of
whitespace-preserving element names contains all
element names. If an element name matches a NameTest
in an xsl:strip-space element, then it is removed from
the set of whitespace-preserving element names. If an
element name matches a NameTest in an
xsl:preserve-space element, then it is added to the
set of whitespace-preserving element names. An element
matches a NameTest if and only if the NameTest would
be true for the element as an XPath node test.
Conflicts between matches to xsl:strip-space and
xsl:preserve-space elements are resolved the same way
as conflicts between template rules (see [5.5 Conflict
Resolution for Template Rules]). Thus, the applicable
match for a particular element name is determined as
follows:

First, any match with lower import precedence than
another match is ignored.

Next, any match with a NameTest that has a lower
default priority than the default priority of the
NameTest of another match is ignored.

It is an error if this leaves more than one match. An
XSLT processor may signal the error; if it does not
signal the error, it must recover by choosing, from
amongst the matches that are left, the one that occurs
last in the stylesheet.
"

The paragraph I cited from XSLT 1.0 spec in my
original post, unambiguously defines rules for
stripping text nodes -
"A text node is preserved if any of the following
apply:
Otherwise, the text node is stripped"

Later, spec suggests an algorithm for implementing
xsl:strip-space and xsl:preserve-space (whose
description contains the sentence you cited..)

Regards,
Mukul