Re: [xsl] OT (browser standards)

Subject: Re: [xsl] OT (browser standards)
From: JBryant@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:07:15 -0600
Well, I'd be happy if they'd just all comply with the current HTML/XHTML
specification. Then I could more easily write cross-browser documents.

Also, all I want my browser to do is display HTML/XHTML (and anything
specified by the HTML, such as images). In the absence of some good reason
to do otherwise, I prefer to do all the rest of the processing on the
server and have the browser be just a viewer (to me, that's implied in the
word "browser").

Just my opinion, of course.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

Mukul Gandhi <mukul_gandhi@xxxxxxxxx>
02/21/2005 10:58 AM
Please respond to
xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[xsl] OT (browser standards)

This question is a bit off-topic. Sorry about it..

I think today there is need of another standard effort
from W3C, something like "Web Browser Framework 1.0".
All web browsers must implement some minimum set of
features as would be described in this specification.

The "Web Browser Framework standard" could include
something like following list as minimum set of
features that should be same(including spec versions
like HTTP 1.1, XSLT 1.0 etc) across all browsers -

HTTP
XML
XSLT
JavaScript
Security
..and more

A Particular browser can be free to implement extra
features over-and-above minimum requirements..

Important vendors like Microsoft, Mozilla and Opera
could join as initial members of this WG.

I feel, this will be a real boon to IT. This is a
really difficult thing to achieve, but could be given
a try! Over the time(3-5 years), all browsers should
behave same!

This is a weird thought.. But just thought of sharing
with all!

Regards,
Mukul