Re: [xsl] Text To XML using XSL

Subject: Re: [xsl] Text To XML using XSL
From: "Bryce K. Nielsen" <bryce@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 04:38:36 -0600
> I am very well know that we can convert XML files into any other files
> viz. HTML, XHTML, SGML , Text by using XSL. Is it possible to convert
> Text into XML,HTML using XSL? If yes, please let me know the resources.

As noted, there's not a "standard" way to go from Text to XML and requires
some trickiness if you desire to stay in the realms of XSL. This situation
crops up a lot in B2B/EDI projects, and most people resort to either A)
custom applications/scripts to "preprocess" the text document, or B) use an
"off-the-shelf" mapper that does this for you. Some mappers are very
complex, allowing you to map the Text document into any XML document you
want. These mappers are typically rather costly as well (hundreds to even
thousands of dollars). But there are more affordable solutions, that tend to
be much simpler to use.

Depending on your circumstances, I recommend looking at xmlLinguist, the
Text-toXML Translator at http://www.sysonyx.com/products/xmllinguist . It's
affordable (retails for under $80), bi-directional, and very easy to use.
It's designed to translate the text document directly into XML, doing no
transformations. There's already a powerful transformation language, and
thus the goal of xmlLinguist is to get the document into XML. Once the
document is in XML, you can apply stylesheets, schemas, etc. And the maps
are bi-directional, translating back into Text with relative ease.

I admit I'm a bit biased in this recommendation (see my sig), but the tool
is very easy to use, and rather than writing something from scratch,
download the trial and see if it suits your needs.

Bryce K. Nielsen
SysOnyx, Inc. (www.sysonyx.com)
Makers of xmlDraft, the Smart XSD Editor
http://www.sysonyx.com/products/xmldraft