RE: [xsl] XSL - Transforming 2 XSL stylesheets from 1 XML file

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSL - Transforming 2 XSL stylesheets from 1 XML file
From: "Aron Bock" <aronbock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 21:48:11 +0000
> As a general rule, I prefer to apply constraints at the
> latest possible
> point in the process.

Fine.

In this case, I don't want to set the
> media type of
> the output until I generate the output.

This part is begging the question, at least with respect to the spirit of the original thread. Setting a media type doesn't mandate that that XML be transformed with the corresponding stylesheet.

> To trot out an old metaphor, water is just water. It's up to the
> generator, the farmer, the water treatment plant, and others
> to make good
> use of the water when it gets to them. It'd be silly to
> expect the water
> to know the uses people intend for it.

And, IMO, using this metaphor makes for a "fallacy of accident"--generators, farmers and water treatment plants deciding how to use water piped to them is fine, but that would be applicable to an original argument that posited that client devices (handhelds, browsers, WAP clients, whatever) should transform the XML as they see fit. The original argument being what it was, the analogy should be more along the lines of, no matter that it's all water, the ski slope expects snow, the fields, rain, and I, hailstones on my enemies.

I have to commend Colin for sticking with the defense :-)

--A