RE: [xsl] disable-output-escaping for attributes

Subject: RE: [xsl] disable-output-escaping for attributes
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 08:54:16 +0100
> Maybe I didn't get whole picture about character maps but they seem
> overly complicated in contrast to "just" use DOE (expecially because
> input and output will look very different)
> When haveing to decide for make things complicate for users or
> developers of an API I would choose the developers (as a
> developer maybe
> you see it different ;-)

This is not something that was done to make life easier for developers.

disable-output-escaping is bad because it violates an architectural
boundary, it means that the interface between the transformer and the
serializer is not just a document (as an instance of the data model) and a
set of serialization parameters, but a document plus a single bit per
character that says whether escaping should be disabled. It's not developers
who suffer when architectural boundaries are violated, it's users, because
it means that your code is less reusable and your applications have less
potential for change.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/