Re: [xsl] Importing compiled stylesheets

Subject: Re: [xsl] Importing compiled stylesheets
From: James Fuller <jim.fuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 11:36:50 +0200
Andrew Welch wrote:

>The reason I would like to be able to import a compiled stylesheet is
>not to use a functional library, but for performance.

+1, why not use XSLTC today?

>I have this kind of setup:
>
>A -> B -> C
>
>Stylesheet A imports B, which imports C.
>
>B and C are both reasonably large stylesheets.  A is generated per
>request, is quite small and overrides specific templates in B or C
>depending on the requirement.  I keep compiled copies of B and C in
>memory, so when A is not needed I can just use the compiled version.
>However, when A is needed, B and C must be parsed and built each time.

ahhh I see, this is implementation specific behavior.

If we are discussing about linking what are IMO binaries what are the
portability issues...(btw do 'compiled' stylesheets work across every
platform across implementations?). What is the current stance on
compiled stylesheets from XSLT working group perspective...does it have
any legs?

Also, is talking about 'compiled' stylesheet potentially a veiled
discussion about binary xml?

>The fact that in XSLT the 'project specific' stylesheet must import the
>'common' stylesheet, is why we really could do with a way of compiling
>up that common stylesheet.

well, you have the ability to do this with XSLTC today?

I think concerns about portability remain, and might be useful to
discuss in the context of packaging, compiled stylesheets, function
libraries, and so on.

cheers, Jim