[xsl] Re: Spam:RE: [xsl] Winddings, symbol etc

Subject: [xsl] Re: Spam:RE: [xsl] Winddings, symbol etc
From: JBryant@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:44:58 -0500
> FOP for example is more limited than the commercial
> renderers, but often you can tweak the xslfo to cheat it.

<bias>I'm something of a champion of FOP.</bias>

FOP has its limitations, for sure, but I've not found anything I couldn't
do by using XSLT to produce FO that FOP knows how to process. Doing
automatic layout for tables has been the nastiest bit, and I got that done
in an afternoon.

Other than to stand up for FOP, I am replying because your project seems
to be somewhat similar to the work I've done in recent years. I've created
my own document production system to convert content stored in XML into
PDF, WordML (just has to be opened in Word 2003 and Saved As .doc), text,
and HTML (and sometimes other XML dialects). Thus, I edit documents in XML
and then produce the documents in whatever format the client's customers
want at the time. I'm actually a writer (but I have been programming for
18 years in the course of documenting APIs) who got fed up with commercial
software that was both expensive and crappy and so resolved to make his
own document production system with open-source tools. So it sounds like
our tasks are parallel in some significant ways.

Let me know if I can help you around some of the problems you hit.

However, for the current problem, I cannot help much, as I just use
Unicode characters for everything I need (which isn't much - just the
usual trademark and copyright symbols, some math symbols, and so on).

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services