RE: [xsl] namespaces and xmlns=""

Subject: RE: [xsl] namespaces and xmlns=""
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:10:34 -0000
> Hi all, can someone explain why the following XML and XSLT
> produces an
> xmlns="" attribute on the image tag in the output. I am using MSXML4

The question you should be asking is, why is the <image> element in no
namespace? And the answer is, because when you generated it you put it in no
namespace. If you wanted it in a namespace, you could achieve this using the
namespace attribute of xsl:element, or by setting the namespace context of
the xsl:element instruction.

Given that the <image> element is in no namespace and that its parent is in
a namespace, the serializer is obliged to add the xmlns="" undeclaration.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/