Re: [xsl] finding lowest level in ancestor:: axis

Subject: Re: [xsl] finding lowest level in ancestor:: axis
From: Dan Vint <dvint@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:49:05 -0800
At 03:35 PM 1/26/2006, David Carlisle wrote:

> The variable was not getting a node-set with the original syntax.
was so:-)

> When I switched the design to use the choose statement, this resulted in a
No to use an xsl:choose you must have used xsl:variable with xsl:choose
as content rather than a select expression. Such an xsl:variable never
generates a node set in xslt1: it generates a result tree fragment (which
would generate an error if passed to generate-id, or any other function
expecting a node set).

> So based  upon that I would say the original design returned something
> like I expected but in the reverse order of what I expected,
No, it returned a node set, and sets do not have an order (that's why
they are called sets not lists or sequences)

David

Interesting, I had never made a differentiation in a result-tree-fragment and a node set like this. I figured a result-tree-fragment could only be gotten on the output side and that when it would be in a variable or some manner that you could process it, that this was a node set. But I see the other part of your definition about order, which a result-tree fragment definitely has. I had generally equated these as the same thing just on different sides of the processing/output stage.

Ok so that explains why generate-id() didn't complain in the first situation.

Thanks, everyone that got the job done.

..dan

http://www.star.net.uk

Specializing in Panoramic Images of California and the West
http://www.dvint.com

voice: 510-522-4703

When H.H. Bennett was asked why he preferred to be out
shooting landscapes rather than spending time in his portrait studio:

"It is easier to pose nature and less trouble to please."

http://www.portalwisconsin.org/bennett_feature.cfm