Re: [xsl] Sudoku stylesheet

Subject: Re: [xsl] Sudoku stylesheet
From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:26:58 -0500
andrew welch wrote:
Does one exist?

I've been asked if it's possible to solve a Sudoku puzzle with XSLT,
which I replied "of course"...

I've started to write one myself - its gets pretty hard pretty
quickly, has anyone does this before?

I gave a Sudoku puzzle design as a final problem in my XML class last semester, but I only asked for it to be represented, not solved.

I'm told the problem is NP-complete, so any solution would be quite slow in the general case. I've thought about doing the solving version myself and submitting it as a paper to Extreme one year, but there's too much interesting unpaid work on my plate already. :-)

If I were to do this I would probably look first for a Scheme or Lisp Sudoko solver and basically port it to XSLT, then optimize. Or perhaps port this Java code instead:

http://sudoku.sourceforge.net/

If anyone were interested in publishing a paper though, I could probably be talked into collaborating on the problem.

--
o;?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx