Re: [xsl] FW: XSL-FO print of static area at end

Subject: Re: [xsl] FW: XSL-FO print of static area at end
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:00:39 -0500
At 2006-02-28 10:20 +0200, Linda Burgess wrote:
I am new to using XSL-FO.B  I want to print a
document with a quotation section (which may be
less than or more than one page long) followed
with a remittance advice section, which must
only print at the end of the document, at a
fixed position at the bottom of the page (to
enable user to tear it off).B  If there is no
space for the remittance advice on the last page
of the quotation, the remittance advice must
print at the bottom of the next page (which will
then be a empty page with only the remittance section printed at the
bottom).

After investigating as well as I could, I ended up with 3 possibilities: 1 - using B page-master-alternatives ... 2 - to use the footnote ... 3 - Can I use a block-container?

I used (2) and (3) to get the effect you want, and the code below works in both Antenna House and RenderX. Just add the below to your page geometry for a test, changing the names of the master-reference= masters.

I put a fixed-height block-container into a
footnote, thus the top edge of the blocks in the
block container would be your tear-off line
(shown below as a dotted line).  The blocks flow
from the top of the block container.

On page 2, the footnote with the container fits, so it gets rendered on page
2.

On page 3, the footnote with the container
doesn't fit, so it gets rendered on page 4.

I hope this helps.

. . . . . . . Ken

<page-sequence master-reference="frame"
               xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>

<static-content flow-name="xsl-region-after">
  <block text-align="center"><page-number/></block>
</static-content>

<flow flow-name="frame-body" font-size="40pt">
  <block space-after="20pt">This is a test</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Footer fits below</block>

  <block>
    <footnote>
      <inline/>
      <footnote-body>
        <block-container height="4in">
          <block border-before-style="dotted">Blocks of the footer</block>
          <block>Blocks of the footer</block>
        </block-container>
      </footnote-body>
    </footnote>
  </block>

</flow>

</page-sequence>

<page-sequence master-reference="frame"
               xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>

<static-content flow-name="xsl-region-after">
  <block text-align="center"><page-number/></block>
</static-content>

<flow flow-name="frame-body" font-size="40pt">
  <block space-after="20pt">This is a test</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Blocks of the first group</block>
  <block>Footer doesn't fit below</block>

-- Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses: Washington,DC 2006-03-13/17 World-wide on-site corporate, govt. & user group XML/XSL training. G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0 +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995) Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05 http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc Legal business disclaimers: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal