Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 Vs XSLT 1.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 Vs XSLT 1.0
From: "Tech Savvy" <tecsavvy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 11:16:06 -0500
Thank you for your response. I was reading that XSLT2.0 is still not
stable. What are your comments on this? We are trying to make a
decision as to whether it is worth moving to xslt 2.0 Vs. xslt 1.0 and
their advantages and disadvantages.

On 5/9/06, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What is the advantage of using xslt 2.0 versus xslt 1.0?

Features or benefits?

At the "features" level: masses. The quick wins tend to be grouping
capability, multiple output files, regular expressions, date and time
handling, stylesheet functions, temporary trees, sequence data types. The
language has roughly doubled in size, so it's hard to give a short answer.

At the "benefits" level:

(a) productivity, through

  (i) generally fewer lines of code for the same task
  (ii) faster debugging cycle because of type checking (especially with
schema-awareness)
  (iii) faster learning curve because there's less need for weird
workarounds to common problems

(b) robustness, again through type checking

(c) applicability to a wider range of tasks, e.g. up-conversion.

(d) performance, particularly for tasks such as grouping that are now
supported by built-in capability.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/