RE: [xsl] Incremental Numbering

Subject: RE: [xsl] Incremental Numbering
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 11:35:14 +0200
At 2006-05-12 10:18 +0100, Mark Williams wrote:
Thanks for the response. I tried to implement this in the way previously
mentioned. For various reasons that I won't bore you with, this is
proving impractical.

That's unfortunate.

However, each item that I need to number is contained in a fo:table-row.
Is there any way of outputting the current number of a fo:table-row
within the table. Sort of an auto-row numbering function?

No, there are no such table semantics available. In your situation the stylesheet is obliged to replicate the decision-making process by which table rows are generated, thus indicating in a side-effect-free fashion the determination of the target row number, without having to actually generate the target rows.

Remember that XSLT is designed to run in parallel. If there were 10 candidate rows and only 4 actual rows, a parallelized XSLT implementation could despatch all 10 calculations to 10 different processors and aggregate the results in the result tree ... thus any given calculation would not access from elsewhere it's impact in the result tree, thus it must recalculate what it's impact in the result tree is going to be, thus replicating the determination of the target row number.

I suspect this is wishful thinking on my part and that there is no
choice here,

Indeed.

but some pretty hard graft!

Again, that's unfortunate, but I'm worried if it appears difficult that you may not have the required perspective on it as I'm not confident it is a hard problem to solve from your earlier description.

Good luck ... I hope this helps understand the situation.

--
Registration open for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Wash.,DC 2006-06-12/16
Also for XSLT/XSL-FO training:    Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04