Re: [xsl] XSLT convert xml file to Excle Question III

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT convert xml file to Excle Question III
From: Andrew Franz <afranz0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:40:18 +1000
A lateral solution:
1. Convert XML to an XHTML table
2. Set content type and Excel will do the hard work
See http://aspalliance.com/1 for an ASP example.
I've done this with JSP. It's simpler than POI, MSXML and it works well.

Styles and fonts are also converted, e.g. <td style="border: solid blue">Hello world</td> will be converted by Excel into a blue-bordered cell.

Karen Yang wrote:

Wendell,

Thanks for pointing this out. You are absolutely right. I was trying
to guess the template meanings and then try to use it. And I did read
a lot of online tutorials, like w3schools XSLT tutorial, I also read
the first part of "XSLT cookbook", in which the first chapter is
"XPath", but I couldn't find any related help about what does "." or
"/*" mean except by guessing the meanings and trying it out in the
programs (all of you guys' reply did help me tremendously...)

Of course, "guessing" is NOT something that I'd like to do. I like to
have a tutorial to tell me what does each part do (like the examples
and explanations in w3schools, but they don't have the examples that I
need), but I just can't find any. So maybe you or someone of you who
was blind in the dark like me now, could direct me a way out?.....

Anyway, no matter what, I owe you all a big "thank you", and I feel
I'm closer to the brightness, i.e. I would be out of the darkness
soon.... :-) So I would thank you when I'm out of the darkness with
you guys.....

Thanks,

Karen.

(a) the XSLT processing model (e.g.
the role of "xsl:apply-templates") and (b) how to write XPath
expressions (e.g. what "." means, "*/." means, etc.). Both of these
are covered in introductory courses, books and online resources on
XSLT. Neither is something you are very likely to guess by yourself.

As you can see, on this list there are plenty of people willing to
help, any of whom could provide you a working stylesheet to meet your
specifications. But would that really help? So far, the questions and
answers you have received only nibble around the edges ("connect the
blue wire to the post"). What happens when the spec changes? I'm
sorry to be so pointed, but I think your problem goes deeper than
needing a stylesheet by a particular date certain.,