Re: [xsl] XSLT convert xml file to Excle Question III

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT convert xml file to Excle Question III
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:28:04 -0400
Karen,

Would your boss also assign an electrician to fix a car by Friday, without seeing that the electrician got training and practice in automobile maintenance?

Just because a car has an electrical system doesn't mean that just anyone, or even a very experienced electrical engineer, can just fix an automobile, even with a manual. You also may need to know something about internal combustion engines, hydraulics and a myriad of other things. Likewise, to write XSLT stylesheets you really need to know how they work. (Actually XSLT stylesheets are simpler than cars, or should be; but the analogy still applies.)

I have no reason to doubt that you're a competent programmer; but your basic questions regarding XSLT indicate that any prior experience you bring isn't really helping. In particular, two things you are having trouble with are (a) the XSLT processing model (e.g. the role of "xsl:apply-templates") and (b) how to write XPath expressions (e.g. what "." means, "*/." means, etc.). Both of these are covered in introductory courses, books and online resources on XSLT. Neither is something you are very likely to guess by yourself.

As you can see, on this list there are plenty of people willing to help, any of whom could provide you a working stylesheet to meet your specifications. But would that really help? So far, the questions and answers you have received only nibble around the edges ("connect the blue wire to the post"). What happens when the spec changes? I'm sorry to be so pointed, but I think your problem goes deeper than needing a stylesheet by a particular date certain.

Regards,
Wendell