Re: [xsl] RE: stripping non-breaking spaces

Subject: Re: [xsl] RE: stripping non-breaking spaces
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:42:04 -0400
Jordan,

At 02:28 AM 6/29/2006, you wrote:
Yeah, I agree that it's good that the pre-processing is there as an option,
I was just hoping that there was another way, as it's a little annoying to
have one stylesheet which does practically everything, and then another just
for stripping the spaces.

You could strip your nbsp characters at the level of the text node (assuming nothing else is happening at that level to confound this), and achieve it in the same pass. It wouldn't happen at the same time as the strip-space input modification, but that doesn't necessarily matter does it?

Some might argue that it's actually better architecture (more easily maintainable) to keep it separate in any case. But there might be other extrinsic factors bearing on this, and I'd hesitate to make the call without knowing more.

Pipelining in general doesn't have to be a big deal except in particular kinds of scenarios (for example, in some client applications). There are also ways of achieving it without writing intermediate files, if that's part of what dismays you. :-) Three favorites:

- node-set() extension function (in many 1.0 processors)
- saxon:next-in-chain extension (in Saxon)
- or use XSLT 2.0, which does it natively
(and there are others too)

Cheers,
Wendell