Re: [xsl] mass validation of xml files

Subject: Re: [xsl] mass validation of xml files
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:38:10 -0400
At 2006-06-29 17:20 +0200, Georg Hohmann wrote:
i got a quick question that is a little bit off topic:

Not really off topic for how I would solve the problem.

Does anyone know a way or a (free) tool to validate a bunch of xml
files (>30.000) against a DTD or a schema at once?

I would use an XML representation of the file names, write an XSLT script that reads the list of files and synthesizes the appropriate Ant script, then run the Ant script for the validation, then toss the intermediate Ant script since it can always be recreated from XSLT.

I use this approach for updating my web site:  I
have a site map in XML, a stylesheet that reads
the presence of all files and the necessary
processes needed to update the server, XSLT
synthesizes the (very long!) Ant script that
expresses all of the required dependencies, I
invoke the Ant script to act only on the
differences and dependencies and it FTP's only
the changes necessary, then I delete the temporary Ant script.

I think this design pattern is very powerful.  I
can spend hours going all over my site making
changes here or there ... some pages are
synthesized from XML (my tables of past
deliveries, upcoming schedule, etc.) so I just
have to change the base XML files ... when I'm
done and everything is checked into source-code
control, I "press the button" and only those
pages needing updating get updated on the server.

I think the combination of XSLT/Ant is something
that has a lot of applicability.

If your needs are really simple, you may find Ant already does what you want.

The DSDL project is also looking at the
choreography and orchestration of validation in
part 10 of the multi-part ISO/IEC 19757 Document
Schema Definition Languages ... in which you will
find RELAX-NG (Part 2), Schematron (Part 3) and
NVDL (Part 4).  Reference implementations of some
of the other parts are being tested in XSLT.

I hope this helps.

--
Registration open for UBL training:    Montrial, Canada 2006-08-07
Also for XSL-FO/XSLT training:    Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04