Re: [xsl] statically known namespaces

Subject: Re: [xsl] statically known namespaces
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 12:13:05 -0400
At 09:22 AM 7/10/2006, Nic wrote:
> Why is it that XQuery has inbuilt namespaces such as "xs", but XSLT does not?
>
> I would have thought that XSLT 2.0 could benefit from having "xsl" and
> "xs" predefined, any thoughts?

Oh yes.

It was my biggest problem when learning XSLT and now I know it really
well it turns out it still is: why do I have to remember all that
template? I can't remember passwords let alone NS URIs.

I know I can have a bit of template code but that's not the
point... good editors are not always available when you're doing
things.

For all my arcane knowledge of XSLT, I don't think being able to recite the namespace by heart is something I can actually do. This is a bit of information scattered copiously throughout my brain-prostheses, but not securely stored in my actual head. Probably that'll bite me some day.

(Now, were I to have to remember and get it wrong, a really friendly processor would tell me not only that no stylesheet was available, but also what namespace it was looking for.)

I like that the binding isn't hard-coded. It makes it possible to switch prefixes around, which is sometimes useful and always a good lesson for XMLers, who need to understand at least the basics of namespaces.

Cheers,
Wendell