RE: [xsl] A non self closed xsl:apply-templates element to create a text node for matching ...

Subject: RE: [xsl] A non self closed xsl:apply-templates element to create a text node for matching ...
From: iwantto keepanon <iwanttokeepanon@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 22:49:28 +0300 (MSK)

>It's not legal to have an xsl:value-of element as a child of
>xsl:apply-templates, and I'm really not sure what you would expect it to
>mean.

I didn't think so.  Just an "accident" that it worked.

>I can't see the difficulty in having a single template rule that matches
>both text nodes and attribute nodes, for example

It's just that the matching rules are quite long and if I change one I have
to change the other.  Whether in one template or in 2 different ones, the
chance of error is greater than having the rules in one place.

How can I combine these 2 templates (image the starts-with being long and error prone)
so that I can state the matching rules only once:

<xsl:template match="text()[ starts-with( ., '../Russia2006/' ) ]">
    <xsl:text>http://site.com/gallery/Russia/2006/</xsl:text>
    <xsl:value-of select="substring-after( ., '../Russia2006/' )" />
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="@href[ starts-with( ., '../Russia2006/' ) ]">
    <xsl:text>http://site.com/gallery/Russia/2006/</xsl:text>
    <xsl:value-of select="substring-after( ., '../Russia2006/' )" />
</xsl:template>

Something like a union would be nice : (text() | @href)[ ... ]
I am just trying to simplify a big stylesheet.  Any ideas?

BTW, thanks for the quick response already ....
--
Rodman