RE: [xsl] XSLT 2.0, using Schema-aware features

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT 2.0, using Schema-aware features
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:03:16 -0000
I can see why you want this, but as David explained, it doesn't really work.
If you want to take advantage of schema-awareness at compile time, you have
to declare types in the stylesheet. At compile time the system will be able
to take advantage of its knowledge of the types, but this all relies on the
fact that at run-time, the instance document will conform to the schema. So
there's a dependency, in effect, on doing run-time schema validation of the
input document, and on checking the types expected at compile-time with
those actually delivered at run-time.

There's a different question one could ask, namely: would it be possible to
package up the product capabililities to distinguish the compile-time
product used by developers from the run-time product used to actually
execute transformations? The answer to that is yes: given a will to do it
and a commercial motivation, it's certainly technically feasible. However,
the pricing implications are far from clear. Which is more valuable, a
development kit used on a PC to develop and compile three or four
stylesheets a month, or a run-time engine executing on a web farm performing
ten thousand transformations an hour?

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/