Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 has arrived

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 has arrived
From: "Colin Adams" <colinpauladams@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 13:57:32 +0000
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
as there is this seemingly small group that loathes Windows

I thought almost everyone loathed it (everyone in my local pub complains about how bad their computer is - but the symtpoms they complain about are symptoms specific to Windows). Just most people don't realize there are much better alternatives.
And .NET can be used with MONO on any Unix flavor (not tried it though).

Well, I guarantee that Gestalt won't run on any Unix flavour if compiled against .NET (it might not actually run very weill on Windows.NET - I don't know - I haven't tried it, but there are some errors on the test suite against .NET). And it will certainly run slower on Windows.NET than natively.

Btw, if you dislike both Java and .NET for any reason (classpath, color of coffee, whatever) you may also consider Gestalt, which was fairly neglected in this discussion so far. It runs on Eiffel and I dare say, Eiffel surpasses Java in many respects.

As a language it surpasses Java in all respects.
As a runtime environment, there are pros-and-cons to the JVM, as opposed to running natively. Note that it is theoretically possible to compile Gestalt to run on Java - but the only current Eiffel compiler that supports compiling to Java byte code currently produces broken byte code, so in practice you cannot do so.

As for Gestalt versus xsltproc, Gestalt will be easier to install (when I make binaries available - just download the binary) except on most Linux systems where xsltproc comes installed for you.
Xsltproc will run faster, but is non-compliant to the XSLT 1.0 recommendation. Gestalt should be fully compliant with the XSLT 1.0 subset of XSLT 2.0 backwards compatibility mode, except for not supporting the case-order attribute of xsl:sort yet (that might well be a big but for some applications), and you get all the power of XSLT 2.0 in addition (there are a few things that are not quite fuly supported yet - e.g. unparsed-text() only works on UTF-8 files at the moment).

Get Hotmail, News, Sport and Entertainment from MSN on your mobile. http://www.msn.txt4content.com/