Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 has arrived

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 has arrived
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 00:07:35 GMT
> Recently I was dreaming about a possibility whereby the browser (for
> e.g. IE) could have a hook to a 3rd party XSLT engine (like Saxon).
> This way client side XSLT transformation could be done using any
> suitable XSLT processor (e.g. Saxon)

> I don't know how feasible this is. Probably, this requires Microsoft
> (and other vendors) to provide some additional option(s) in IE.

I think you'll find that IE has the hooks, it just needs someone to hook
to them,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/networking/pluggable/overview/overview.asp

A pluggable MIME filter is an asynchronous pluggable protocol that
receives data through a stream, performs some operation on the data, and
returns a data stream. The output data might be in a different format
from the original stream.

MathPlayer for example intercepts application/xhtml+xml documents that
have mathml specified and transforms then to whatever IE needs for
display (which incidentally is a way of getting IE to display xhtml)
it doesn't use xslt to do the transform, but IE wouldn't mind if it did.

So I think (in theory, never having tried) one could write a plugin that
intercepted (say) application/xml documents that has an xml-stylesheet
PI and did the specified transform using xslt2, returning the result to
IE for rendering.

David