Re: [xsl] XHTML html validation

Subject: Re: [xsl] XHTML html validation
From: John Steel <john.steel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 12:05:38 +0000
Abel Braaksma wrote:

Hi John,

This clears things up quite a bit. What I understand now, is the following (see my comments)

<%@ page contentType='x-application/xslt' %>

Just developed from the examples here: http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.1/doc/xslt-filter.xtp
By the way, I'm ok with j2ee generally but this is coming up to the end of my 1st week with xsl :-)
<?xml-stylesheet href='xslt/dev.xsl'?>

This means that you are not using Resin at all for transformation. The browser does the transformation. With this instruction, you ask the browser to search on the path 'xslt/dev.xsl' (relative to the *.jsp file and available though http) to load and apply the dev.xsl file to the XML content of your page.

No, resin does the tranformation - I suspect I screwed up in trying to create a smaller example then, for which I sincerely apologise. The test is to view the source in the browser - if the browser transforms, you'd see the xml structure, if it was the server you'd just see formed html right?
There was a lot of help a few days ago on this list regarding this, and the various transformations I needed which basically ended up working fine (thread "Making a FAQ from XML") and producing what appeared to be good web pages but just weren't valid xhtml.

I'll study your very welcome and detailed answer now...