Re: [xsl] XSL-FO control over external links

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL-FO control over external links
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 17:49:15 +0200
Jay Bryant wrote:

If the # sign is present, then the browser can try to link to a particular place in the PDF file. If it's not present, then the browser doesn't have the information needed to link to a particular place in the PDF file.

Yes and no. See my previous post on this subject related to the way the browser uses the cache. If you have a #xyz in the link, then the browser will only go to the anchor 'xyz' if the page needs to be refreshed. This is true so for PDF as well as HTML (or any the like) documents. IE is a bit more tricky here then FF, but both behave like this in general.

A browser can only link to a particular place in a PDF file if the PDF file includes named destinations.

Yes, but only when you access the PDF from an external link with anchor information. If you click to it internally, the browser doesn't know anything about it and Adobe will do the location-remembering.

(I recently implemented named destinations for FOP, so this subject rings a big bell with me.)

Good to hear that! ;)

Cheers, -- Abel Braaksma