Re: [xsl] 0x19 is not a legal XML character

Subject: Re: [xsl] 0x19 is not a legal XML character
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 11:33:32 +0100
On 6/28/07, Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

this may work and will remove all offending U+0019 chars.

The "offending" u+0019 characters could well be good content that's being written/read in the wrong encoding.

Simply stripping them out probably isn't the best approach - you need
to work out why they're there, what put them there and then fix that.
Patching it up afterwards is never a good idea.

It reminds me of when I came to my last project and discovered things
like this in the XML:

<foo>some test with backslashes before \"quotes\" everywhere</foo>

It turns out the quotes were causing problems later in the processing
(in a regex I think), so they thought they should "escape" them in the
XML before they got there...

Imagine explaining your process to someone else in a years time -
"this step is where we remove the u+0019 characters".

--
http://andrewjwelch.com