Re: [xsl] XSL 2.0 and .NET and VB

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL 2.0 and .NET and VB
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 04:13:17 -0600
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 04:22:07 -0600, Jirka Kosek <jirka@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Do you want to see evidence? Then find somewhere your old modem and try
to use dial-up for some time. ;-D

Current browsers when served by HTML are displaying page progressively,
it is not necessary to wait till whole page is loaded before seeing
rendered start of the page. The latency of XML+XSLT will be bigger then
in case of pure HTML irrespective which route will be faster in total.

Fair enough. You have me on this one. I do forget that there are still a good portion of folks still using dial-up, so you're right, in this case, the load speed would seemingly be longer no matter how long it actually takes.

1. Doesn't IE strips whitespace-only text nodes anymore?

I use, by force of habit, xsl:text for all significant white space in my transformation files, so I never run into this problem.

2. Does IE uses the newest MSXML installed, or it is still using
MSXML3.0 which can quite easily utilize your CPU to 100% if you do a
little bit of grouping without using xsl:key?

IE 7.0 uses, I believe, MSXML 6.0. IE 6, I believe, uses MSXML 4.0, though I'm not absolutely certain to be honest. But your point regarding MSXML 3.0 still being around is a fair point. I'm not sure how many installations still exist, but when you're dealing with 100's of millions of Window's installs, the number has a chance of still being pretty high, obviously.

Okay, so you got me on this one too ;-) They might be edge cases, but none-the-less,

+2 Jirka ;-)

3. Is Transformix in Mozilla significantly faster then 2-3 years ago
when I gave it try?

The Fx 3.0 bits seem to be quite a bit faster, yes. Anyone know for sure?

I completely agree with you, I was promoting this idea since time IE
supported <?xml-stylesheet?>. But there are some still XSLT
compatibility problems on client side and not all clients support XSLT.
Of course, you can generate HTML for such clients on server as a
fallback. But you have to maintain two applications pipelines and it is
not cheaper anymore.

Hmmm... Yes and know. I would lean more towards things being faster when you consider that a significant majority of the requests are for browsers that support XSLT. Of course, dependent upon how busy your site is, a good portion of those requests are going to be from search engines. For less busy sites in which the perentage of non-XSLT-support requests are going to be noticably higher, I think it's going to be a matter of testing to really find out for sure if there is an overall savings or not.

+1/2 Jirka
+1/2 M:D

- From user experience point of view this holds only in case that
transformation can be done in streaming mode to decrease latency.
Current XSLT implementations are not able to work in streaming mode
(Saxon probably could in some cases,

And of course Saxon (unfortunately!) isn't embedded into any browsers. I do believe that the combination of cached XSLT files and smaller data files will make the streaming transformations less of a concern, but it's obviously a per-use-case type scenario.

So,

+1/2 Jirka
+1/2 M:D

Which totals to,

+3 Jirka
+1 M:D

Hmmm... DAMN!

I'll be back, Jirka... I'll be back. Bwah, haa, haa, ha, haaahhhh.... ;-) :D

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
http://mdavid.name | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354 | http://dev.aol.com/blog/3155