Re: [xsl] inserting page-break after certain terms

Subject: Re: [xsl] inserting page-break after certain terms
From: Tony Graham <Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:41:13 +0100
On Wed, Jul 04 2007 13:49:36 +0100, info@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Quoting Tony Graham <Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Okay. I try to be more precisely. Please excuse my "bad" English :-)

If you want "bad", you should try to get me to use a language other than
English.

> The problem is that I have to program a solution for the following case.
> My output should be a brochure with XML contents transformed via XSLT
> to XSL-FO/PDF.
>
> I have several "blocks" all with more or less the same structure. They
> are named <section>. After <section> there are several items. My
> resulting page has a print space of 180mm.
>
> Now the problem:
> I have to calculate the height of each <section> in mm (what I have
> already done, stored in "&gesamt"). Afterwards I need to sum the
> height of all the <section> items including their children. Now if the
> height of the summation is <= 180mm I need a page-break and start the
> same scenario at the following page. Sum the height, look if <= 180mm,
> output, page-break. Of course I think I have to update the variable
> "$gesamt".

By definition, you can't update $gesamt, though if $gesamt is not a
global variable, you could have different $gesamt at different points in
the processing.

Why aren't you just letting the XSL formatter decide where to break the
pages?

Can't you use keep-together.within-page to keep sections together?

> Okay, I hope this helps more :-)

A little, but it's still unclear how you're tring to update $gesamt or
why you're not leaving page breaking up to your XSL formatter.

Regards,

Tony Graham.
Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.menteithconsulting.com

Menteith Consulting Ltd             Registered in Ireland - No. 428599