Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0: Schema-aware processor: What are the compelling advantages over a non-SA processor?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0: Schema-aware processor: What are the compelling advantages over a non-SA processor?
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:15:22 +0200
Justin Johansson wrote:
Is Dr. Kay's/Saxonica'a the only one out there?

forgot to answer this one ;)
No, it is not the only one, though Saxon is by far the most compliant and stable, has quite a user base, a good community and (very) quick responses to inquiries.

Another processor that claims both stability and compliance to XSLT 2.0 + SA is Altova's one, which is part of the free AltovaXML set. Unfortunately, there is no forum, no mailing list and no response from Altova about compliance issues, state of bugs or planned features, which makes it a bit hard to give a good judgment. I send several reports to them about bugs and non-compliance, but unfortunately never received a reply.... Hopefully one day they decide to give more openness about the product, the planning, the bugs etc.

In addition, as far as I know, it is not possible to use Altova from a programming environment (other then opening a shell and start it), it is not possible to provide your own uri resolvers, xml parsers or message listeners etc. But for a free non open source product, it can help you test the basics of XSLT + SA, just don't use it in a production environment (but I believe it is not meant for that anyway).

I don't think that Gestalt, "the other XSLT 2.0 processor" supports schema awareness.

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma