RE: [xsl] Apply Templates, when to use which? how do templates work?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Apply Templates, when to use which? how do templates work?
From: "Trevor Nicholls" <trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 00:10:50 +1200
Hello John Smith (Oh John, can it really be you?!)

I came to XSL blind, like you, and spent at least a week feeling like I was
on a fast trip to programmers' hell. I made progress when at last I realized
that - in the XSL world - instead of trying to create a program, I should
think instead of trying to create a map.

Assuming that you are going to stick with XSL you will sooner or later be
glad of either of the following books:
  Jenni Tennison - Beginning XSLT
  Michael Kay - XSLT Programmers Reference
and I can't recommend strongly enough that you invest in at least one of
them now. Both of them have lucid introductions that you would find very
helpful.

Dr Kay at least is a regular contributor to this list, one of the (many)
reasons which make it worth staying around for as long as you can! This list
is also the best example I have ever seen of a forum where the experts are
so willing to give guidance to complete novices without any degree of
patronizing at all.

Cheers
Trevor