Re: [xsl] Apply Templates, when to use which? how do templates work?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Apply Templates, when to use which? how do templates work?
From: Florent Georges <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:19:19 +0200 (CEST)
Andrew Welch wrote:

  Hi

> Just to add to Davids response, a good way to understand
> templates and the way XSLT works is think about the
> following stylesheet:

> <xsl:stylesheet version="2.0"
> xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"/>

  Personnally, I think that two basic things helped me a lot
to understand templates.  The first one is a little picture
in the beginning of the Michael's book showing a piece of
XML as a tree of nodes (the same way teachers draw trees in
basic algorithms courses).  The second one is thinking about
template rules as a dictionnary of rules the processor can
look throught and apply to nodes.

  Actually I think this is still today more or less how I
think about XSLT processing (at the very high-level
processing level): a set of trees seen throught XDM and a
set of template rules, the processor pick the first node to
process, and processing this first node is the only thing it
will do.

  Regards,

--drkm